Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Nerdiness...


So my husband (yes that is a little weird to say still) teases me that I am a nerd. I realized today that in some ways I really am but I am not ashamed of my nerdiness! Actually I kind of miss my "nerdy" friends aka my awesome engineering and math friends. 
Yesterday during my hour break before institute I was struggling with my last problem in math that was due in the afternoon. After thinking about it ALL day and basically dreaming about it all night the night before, I took another look at it and what would you know? I figured it out! Seriously it's one of my favorite feelings in the world, figuring out a math problem. After math class I went to talk to my Math professor to ask a few questions about the upcoming assignment. Somehow, we got on the subject of what he does for research. It never seizes to amaze me what you can do with a little bit of math, or statistics. To spare you all the  details(probably boring), I will just tell you in short what I thought was very cool that he did slash does. He helped set up The National Library of Virtual Manipulatives (NLVM) for Interactive Mathematics, which has been translated into 5 different languages and gets almost 7 million hits a day!! Amazing right?!  well I thought so :) Talking to my professor about all of this made me miss engineering. Not that I am going to change back to that, I don't miss it that much! I just miss the feeling of working so hard to code a program or put together a circuit board and watching it work right before my eyes. That right there is one of the very best feelings in the world. And that is why I miss engineering. 
I know I am a nerd... I LOVE math and I like engineering and I will even go as far as I sometimes like Computer Science. This is my nerdiness coming out! 

3 comments:

  1. If I had EVER been that good at math...I would have embraced being called a "nerd" anytime!!!

    And, I'm sure the next time Dallin needs help in math, he will love being married to a "nerd" even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not the best at math, but I did like it. I can totally relate to that feeling of figuring out a problem. I would take a hundred math problems over writing an essay any day:)

    Embrace your inner nerdiness:) Hey do we get to come see your apartment when we come up for Landon's farewell? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! you guys are more then welcome to come see our apartment!! hopefully I will have it all put together by then! ha

      Delete